Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Does this shock you?


This is the new anti-smoking campaign launched by L'Association Droits des Non- Fumeurs (The association for the rights of non-smokers).

It's says "Fumer, c'est être esclave du tabac" (To smoke is to be a slave to tabacco). And obviously they are comparing it to a whole nother kind of slavery. The DNF stated they wanted an image that was shocking to get young people's attention.

Not sure which of the two is better for teenagers to be thinking about...

What do you think? Effective? Shocking? Tasteless?

4 comments:

Madame K said...

I can't comment on whether it'll be effective or not, but for some reason it strikes me as misogynistic and perhaps homophobic.

It really rubs me the wrong way.

The Duchess said...

Madame K- yes, slightly disturbing was my first reaction, considering it's aimed at young people.....

deedee said...

I'm not shocked, but I don't like this ad...in bad taste, I guess. There must be a better way to discourage smoking.

The Duchess said...

Hi Meredith- Well, it looks like alot of people agreed with you on that, as the DNF have decided to stop the ad, under pressure from various organisations. But they certainly did what they wanted to do, ie bring attention to the subject once again. Wonder what they'll come up with next....