Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Lunch in Spain...

Yesterday I had lunch in Spain. As you do. Friends of mine were going to visit a garden center just over the border, apparently the prices are much cheaper than here in France. So I tagged along.

Their mission was to buy an olive tree for their garden, my mission was to get my passport out and to eat some tapas. Mission accomplished for all of us.

It took us about an hour and a half to get to Figueres, which is in the north-east corner of Catalonia and is the birthplace of Salvador Dali. The sun was shining as we drove up through the Pyrénees, which were ablaze with bright yellow Mimosa, and crossed the border into Spain. We got caught in the rain in Figueres after our lunch, so had to run through the town, which at that hour (3.00pm), seemed to be collectively enjoying its afternoon siesta.

Not a bad way to spend a Monday. The only regret was that we didn't have time to stop at a shop and stock up on Cava and Rioja. But I plan to go back soon to visit the Dali museum and laze in one of the cafés on the square soon. Here are some photos:

At the motorway border between France and Spain, a pyramid built with the excavated stones from the building of the motorway. A homage to Catalonia.




The fairytale-esque olive tree forest at the garden center. Some of these trees are several centuries old.



The Dali Museum, designed by Dali himself.



The tapas bar in the center of Figueres. We had calamari, potates bravas, bread with aubergine, tapenade and anchovies, chorizo, croquettes, ice cream, vino rosado, and the strongest, smallest black coffee I've ever had.


5 comments:

Printemps said...

Happy to hear you visited Catalonia and Figueres. If you make a trip to Figueres again and Dali Museum , I suggest you make a trip to this small town called Gerona. You will just love the place and food.

Anonymous said...

You know what this reminds me of?

I have a brother and sister who live in Switzerland. One time, I was visiting them and my sister wanted to go to Germany for a few hours to buy some jeans because they were cheaper over the border. I went along so that I could have some fried apples.

Mission accomplished for both of us lol.

Also, the Dali Museum is so cool looking! I would love to go there one day!

Doug said...

Hi,

This is not really a comment per se but I just stumbled across your blog and was wondering if you would be interested in an apartment/house swap sometime. I have 2 girls born in 2004 and 2006 and we have a 3 bedroom in central Paris.

Thanks!

Almost American said...

I'm so jealous! I used to live in Perpignan, and we took weekend trips to Spain. I loved the Dali museum!

La Mom-an American Mom in Paris said...

Love the Dali pictures.
Isn't it nice to be a lady who lunches? Or rather in your case, a Duchess who lunches?