In the spirit of a new year and all that, I thought it might be fun to see how well all you francophiles out there have been paying attention to the French news this past year.
For those of you who want to play along, all of the readers with the most correct answers by next Sunday will be eligible for a 'very official draw' by the little ladies to win a copy of Pardon My French by Charles Timoney.
Send your answers in via the comment link. I won't publish them until next Sunday, so there's no cheating (hate cheaters). Most of the answers can be found in my archives, just in case you haven't been paying attention.
Maybe it's the ex-teacher in me that likes quizzes so much....
1. Who sang the song of the summer, 'Rayon de Soleil'?
2. Who won the Academy Award for best actress in 'La Vie en Rose'.
3. Who's diamond ring magically disappeared in a newspaper photo?
4. Who directed the box office hit 'Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis'?
5. Who was accused of perpetuating one of the biggest frauds in banking history?
6. Who was freed after 2,321 days of being held captive in Colombia?
7. Which talented actor with a famous father died in October, aged 37?
8. Who is the 'French Elvis' that has announced he will retire in 2010?
9. Which ex-girlfriend of Eric Clapton and Mick Jagger got married this year?
10. Who is the author of this year's Prix Goncourt winner, 'Syngue Sabour'?
11. Which outspoken sister and media sensation passed away this year, aged 99?
12. Who is known as the 'French Robin Hood' and had not one but two films made about him this year?
13. Who was voted France's top personality for 2008?
14. What influential fashion force passed away this year, aged 72?
15. Which French author received the Nobel Prize for Literature 2008?