Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving...

My fellow Americans- I'll be thinking of you all today as you eat lots of pie and fight over who has to do the dishes. I will be celebrating turkey day with a Sri Lankan duck curry this evening. Not quite the same thing as an all-you-can-eat turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie fest, but it will have to do. And while you are all lolling around on the sofa after eating, watching football and playing board games, I'll be picking up the kids from school and carrying on like any other day. Because it is just any other day here in France.

I haven't celebrated this holiday properly for over 15 years now. It used to be my favorite day of the year (besides my bday, of course). But away from all the family and outside of the States, it kind of loses its essence for me. Sure, I can make a pumpkin pie and I can buy Ocean Spray cranberry sauce, but without American friends and family around, it just doesn't seem to work.

I get a little homesick on this day every year, and no matter how long I live abroad, I'm not sure that will ever truly stop happening. So, enjoy yourselves today and have a extra dollop of whip cream for me!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I just discovered your blog thanks to your article on Babble. I'm American living in France too (near Grenoble). We have Thanksgiving every year (on a weekend), in fact we're having it tomorrow! I love it too much to give up- but we have a number of American friends in the area.
I enjoyed your Babble article and I'm looking forward to reading more!

The Duchess said...

Thanks Kelly for stopping buy. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving meal!